M.S. Thesis and Projects
Below are some project topcis for M.S. Thesis:
- Wind energy dispatch
- Background: The uncertainty of wind generation has created a huge challenge for utility companies all over the world. We are looking for an optimization technique which can work with stochastic (wind) inputs
- Deliverable: A new method to solve this problem, implemented by Matlab script.
- Conventional approach: Stochastic security for operations planning with significant wind power generation. I have the new method in my mind, I can tell you more if you want to work on this project.
- Required skill for this project: strong math and control theory background
- Distributed control platform for smart grid
- Background: There will be more controllable devices in the future power system, conventional centralized control doesn’t work with large-scale system. We want to demonstrate the capability of agent based distributed algorithm for future grid
- Deliverable: A lab-scale hardware testbed which can run DOE’s VOLTTRON software platform.
- Additional information: http://gridoptics.pnnl.gov/VOLTTRON/
- ITC building energy system modeling
- Background: Building consume 40% of energy, however, we have limited knowledge about building operation. Building energy management is a fast growing industry. Campus Facilities department has provide data for us.
- Deliverable: Develop an energy simulation model for ITC building
- Additional information:
- Software option 1: http://www.doe2.com/equest/
- Software option 2: DOE EnergyPlus
- Renewable energy resource evaluation system
- Background: A quantitative measure of the renewable energy generation is highly desired by industry.
- Deliverable: Understand the SAM software, analyze different types of renewable energy generation systems (I don’t have data, you need find them, however the software is ready)
- Additional information: https://sam.nrel.gov/